- Flowers close their petals
And droop their lonely heads
Weighed down with the rain
- The garden becomes shadowed
By a sky painted in grey.
- Brown sodden leaves are stamped into
The steeped soil between the gravel stones.
- But water droplets balancing on leaves
Glisten like glitter
In the single ray of sunlight
Peeking through the clouds.
- Yellow wattle flowers glow like magic
Against the booming beginnings of a storm.
- Rain patterns the pavement
And turns the bricks a rich, deep red.
- Dappled reflections of the garden
Create new worlds inside the puddles.
- Faded shadows decorate the house walls.
- Wet footprints keep the memories of moments
Alive for just a few seconds as they fade,
- And if you look the opposite way
When the sunlight catches the raindrops
They almost look like stars that explode
Into an arch of colours across the sky.
- Even in the cold
And with the sky clouded with gloomy grey,
I can still find beauty
In just the essence of a winter’s day.